Now that you’ve sorted, edited, and organized your home throughly you might say “I have the perfect amount of things now”. Me too! But it takes a little work to maintain that perfect balance of things. I make visits to my local Goodwill to help me maintain that balance by donating regularly things that I have too many of or just items that don’t add to my life any more. I wanted to share a few things I do that help make donating so simple for me to make a trip once a every couple weeks or so.
- I keep a paper grocery bag in my guest room to add donation items to regularly. Once full I walk it over to Goodwill.
- When driving to the donation center, I pull up right in front of the main entrance & put my flashers on. This helps signal to the worker inside I’m here to drop off a donation. Almost every time I’m greeted with a big blue plastic bin to place my donation in & an employee ready to hand me a receipt for my taxes.
- Save receipts for next year’s tax season.
Rules of Thumb for Donating:
- Do NOT donate stained or soiled clothing. Always bring clean items.
- Broken electronics are okay to donate because there are many folks that do repairs just looking for parts.
- All other items, I use the motto “Would I buy that used?” Things like pillows, used underwear, etc. I send straight to the trash.
There are so many wonderful organizations that accept donations. What’s your favorite organization to donate to? I hope these few tips help you maintain your organized home!
Beautiful Mind | Organized Home