Apartment Therapy: January Cure
Today I’m beginning Apartment Therapy’s January Cure in by doing three of my favorite things: clean, de-clutter, & organize. Everything thing in my life seems to run more smooth when these components are involved. So follow along with me this month as I begin curing my home of the winter blues by brightening up each room with a little bit of elbow grease & a lot of love. I’ll be showing you photos of my results daily as will I make my list of projects public for you to see & maybe pickup an idea here or there for your home! At the end of the month we’ll all be relaxing in our clean & cozy homes while watching it snow out the window.
Day One asks us to make a list of projects. Well, what kind of projects? Walking thru your home, what do you see that could be altered for the better?
For Every Room
1. Brighten up main rooms: It’s alway pretty dreary outside in Chicago in January & February so I like my main rooms to be brightened up a little. So as I take down the holiday decor I begin incorporating more white onto my kitchen table, couch & in my kitchen & bedroom.
2. Declutter bookshelves: Go through books that I’ve read use pretty ones as craft supply(because we all know I LOVE paper crafts & donate or gift the good reads. Of course design resources & coffee table books can stay at my house but maybe display them with a collection & vase atop.
3. Winterize curtains: I am not a fan of the thick thermal curtains or the plastic window sheets, but I do double up on curtains just so I can get that extra layer of insulation without the bulk & blackout thermal curtain cause.
4. Pull linens out of the closet & wash: I have a group of throw blankets that I like to keep around the living room during the winter. January is the perfect time to pull all those blankets out of the closet, launder & display over the arm of the couch or chaise lounge, in my leather storage bins, or over a modern quilt rack. If you see yourself running short of throws, winter/summer sheets, and/or pillow cases/shams, hit up a white sale held at most department stores with most quality linens, pillows, & mattress covers at a really great price. This project can be intense having a very full linen closet like mine but will instantly freshen the look & scent of your home.
5. Empty out those junk drawers: I find to accumulate fortune cookies, multiple corkscrews, soy sauce packets, matchbooks, ect..Time to donate, trash & organize this drawer or drawers…
6. Recycle: If you have a neighborhood recycling program & you don’t have a place to put your recycling, make a bin, which will make you more likely to participate.
7. Clean out the fridge: I heard of this great tip from a friend, at the beginning of every year go through all your condiments & toss, using the expiration dates as a guide. Take out all the removable bins & shelves, wash with some hotwater, baking soda, & vinegar. While pieces are drying, wash out the inside of fridge & remove all past due food. 8. Repeat with the freezer the next day.
9. Microwave: Dust outside & scrub inside. Yuck.
10. Trash can: Scrub inside & outside with very hot water, baking soda, & vinegar…And of course use cleaning gloves.I tend to always do this using the bathtub or shower.
11. Dust under the bed: Move bed from it’s home, pick up the mattress & get sweeping & a good mopping if you’d like!
12. Add a bright layer to bed: I like adding bright & rich colors to my bed in winter so this years I’ll use a plum winter set that I have to match the room.
13. Switch framed photos or artwork: Take a piece you already have from the closet or another room and give it a home in your bedroom.
14. Organize clothing by length & color: Everything looks neater when color coded. Making your closet look like a rainbow when you look up at your garments also makes it easier to locate the garment when you’re looking for your favorite sparkly, blue party dress!
15. Complete open projects: I don’t know about you, but since I love crafting in everyway possible I can often start a project but never finish it! I have a small pile of sewing projects & quite a few garments to mend as well. The goal is to only have 2 “open projects” at one given time. Here’s to 2!!!
16. Catalog all vintage: Collecting vintage garments is a love of mine. It’s something I’ve done since I was about 12 years old. I have pieces from my grandmother, like her amazing pink shift dress that she was wed in, to some of her camisoles & jumpsuits she wore on her honeymoon in Costa Rica. I would like to photograph these pieces while the garments are still in perfect condition.
Last but not least…The Bathroom
17. Touch up the Medicine Cabinet Vanity: The corners are looking a little worn so a little white paint couldn’t hurt.
Well that’s my list! Now to begin the adventure to “cure” these tasks with my own personal touch or remedy mind you. Below is the Apartment Therapy link where you can follow each days “cure” so your home can be just as organized & de-cluttered as mine!
You can also find my handmade, one-of-a-kind creations on Etsy at www.etsy.com/shop/archetype312
<photo id=”1″ />